It's late, and the day is close to over, but I was just remembering 9/11, and some of my thoughts on the people who caused that dreadful day.
I'm sure we all have very distinct memories of where we were when we learned of the events of that day, and the tragedy that struck our country. It's one of those things you don't forget. It's one of "those" distinct moments that you'll always remember the details of. Similar to the memories of where they were and what they were doing when Kennedy was shot, or the Challenger going down, that our parents have.
But bigger.
I think it changed everything. Regardless of how I may have felt before, I realized the world wasn't safe and oh-how evil it could be.
I also realized that I had a passion for the journey of a career I was about to take. I had already applied at SkyWest, I remember so many friends and co-workers asking if 9/11 changed how I felt about flying. NO. Does it make the prospect of some things with my industry different, more challenging? YES.
I was still eager to join the ranks in the clouds. It's scary to know that people find my "office" as a weapon of mass destruction. However, technology and security does give terrorist more loops to have to jump through, now. (I am not, nor have I ever been over eager about TSA, just look online for the SNL skit on TSA and liquids, that is my general consensus on alot of them, they seem that brilliant!)
How dumb is it that I never had to check a bag until two years ago. (When traveling stand-by, that's the last thing you want to do, if you actually want a change of clothes with you.) Now I do because, I'm sorry, but I can not go on vacation and fit all of my needed liquids in a 3.4 oz container or less and all in a quart size bag. Why this change, because a couple of idiot terrorist guys, who planned to make bombs using liquid contents. The day that was discovered, it screwed my schedule so bad, I was stuck in Illinois for an extra day, and my little brother's flight home got delayed/ cancelled.
It's is always interesting to talk to my fellow crewmembers who were working this job and listen to their adventures and where they were stuck when FAA and the Government closed all US airspace for the days following 9/11. People have amazing stories of where they were, who they rented cars with, where they drove home from, & how many planes were left stranded without crews, because they felt the need to be safely at home with their families, too.
Terrorist are a possibility I still face at work, and believe me I have seen some creepy things, scary people, and seen people doing their strange (to me) chants/ prayers in the airport and on my plane and wondering what their next step would be.
I don't know if I really had a point, but I do know that while 9/11 changed so many things, how we view the world, it also has taught me we can't let them win, we can't live in fear. I think it brought alot to the surface. I think it was part of the ice burg that pointed us to Iraq & Afghanistan...which also begs a huge thank you to all our troops. To all those amazing young men & women who sacrifice, their lives and their families, for our freedom. I also feel a need to be grateful that they are willing to go, so we don't have to worry about drafts, people like my little brother who joined the military in a time of need, to make a difference. He's been a United States Marine for 3 years and will finally (He's been eager) see the desert this winter.
Just a babbling blog post to remember the impact of 9/11, to say I HATE TERRORISTS, and thanks to our amazing military men & women, who value not only their own, but our freedom as well.
9.11.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



6 comments:
That is so interesting. I agree that we will all remember exactly when and how we found out and what we felt, but it is also easy to forget about it until we are reminded like yesterday. I watched some of CNN where they just played the orginal broadcast from 9/11/01 and it just brought back the strongest emotions to be reminded exactly what happened. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
My older brother served a tour in Iraq. It was the worst 18 months of his life - described as hell on Earth. Yet, he still wanted to go back. Interesting? If only more men were like them.
I totally remember 9/11. two or three weeks before it happend, I had been out visiting Lacy and went to the top on the towers. My biggest thought that day was " were there tourist on top?" I totally agree it changed everything that day!
Wow, I love reading your posts. They are so deep and methodical! Adam enjoyed having dinner with Hottie the other night. I have been up north so I was not able to join them. Infact I was in Dewyville the other day! My sister has land over there with a pond and suff. It is so pretty and green. When you live in the desert all the colors are so vibrant up here. My blog address is phillipsfam2.blogspot.com. Talk at you later- Jamie
p.s. remember cabo-What a dream. We need to do another trip.
Hey Hootie and Chrissi,
Your blog is so fun! Matt and I loved it. Loved your 9/11 comments. Matt and Mindi Archibald
Wow Chrissi you are so deep. Thanks for your thoughts and it was good to see you at women's conference..
Post a Comment